Saturday, July 30, 2011

Interview with DR Industries' Don Robert Torio and Izabel Cortez

Cosplayer Interview
Darth Talon and Darth Maul by DR Industries
The talented tandem of Don Robert Torio and Izabel Cortez, collectively known as DR Industries, is a force to reckon with in the competitive cosplay scene. They have already bagged a number of awards from the different cosplay competitions that they've participated in, and their elaborate costumes and builds continue to impress not only the local cosplay community, but the international communities as well.

I was able to get in touch with them through their Facebook Page, where you can find photos of their finished masterpieces and their works-in-progress, among others things. Though they definitely take cosplaying seriously, they never forget to have fun and enjoy every moment that they can. So please check out the interview and let's see what makes these two tick!



When did you first start cosplaying individually? And what motivates you to continue to cosplay?

Don Robert: I started cosplaying in 2005. I was looking for a permanent & much more stable job back then. One day when I was job hunting, I went to a mall for a while and this is where I saw these group of girls and boys wearing costumes and I thought it was only  for a show or maybe that’s the way they go tripping in the mall. It caught my attention and I followed them to the 5th floor and I was shocked that there was a crowd of people full of extra ordinary human beings. Then that’s when I knew it was cosplay. What motivates me? Every time I make a costume, it’s always a challenge for me.

Black Cat cosplay
Izabel Cortez: I’ve always been into cartoons & anime before, even when I was just a small kid. I get interested with colors & fashion and stuff that lets you be creative. I’ve always wanted to dress-up and create & design & it normally reflected in what I wear even in so-called normal clothes.I frequent thrift shops & normally purchase my clothes there. I started cosplaying May of 2009 when an opportunity prompted me to shift priorities . I tried it then eventually I challenged myself to do better and be more competitive. I just started with thrift shop/closet cosplays they say but I promised myself by the next year I will take it more seriously. And then I did and the rest is history.

Besides cosplay, what are your other hobbies and interests? What else keeps you busy?

Don Robert: I’m a workaholic guy - I sing, dance.lol. I love to watch those old epic Pinoy movies on cable. I actually watch them while I do costumes - keeps me inspired. I’ve also begun collecting toys and it has become my passion.

Izabel Cortez: Well, I work as a secretary in a mall so that takes up my 8 hours a day 6 times a week.lol. I normally do my/our costumes either after work or during Sundays where there is no event but yeah mostly after work up to the wee hours of the morning. You may say I’m just your average person who is into music, TV, movies and the internet. I love reading and learning stuff and I love cats and animals in general.

How did you two meet and how did you realize that you both shared a passion for cosplay?

Green Lantern movie version
Izabel Cortez: DR saw me in Megamall during Otaku Taiki (July 2009). I was Nami then from One Piece. Afterwards he tried looking for me, asking from people who supposedly knew me, but I was kinda new that time so I was kinda hard to find. I dunno, he found out my contact number and asked if I would like to join an appearance event but I wasn’t available due to work. I heard it was love at first sight. Bwahahaha! As for DR, he was already into cosplay since 3 years ago, but I do not know him(because I think he’s already well-known in the community)  nor care who he is. Haha.  But one time I kinda saw his photo in DA as Iron Man (after the SM Marikina Cyberzone where he 1st debuted his V4 of Iron Man) and let’s say I fell in love with Iron Man not him. Hahaha! I used to joke about that. I loved the suit not him.LOL. Eventually, we had the chance to get together, know each other and then again the rest is history.

It’s funny because we agree on a lot of things and perhaps the dedication and passion is at the same level. We worked as a team first and foremost. He normally does the armor parts & I normally do the cloth part. We bought a sewing machine and although I only have basic sewing skills it worked.

Don Robert: I always say though “Without the man there is no suit because the suit and I are one.” I actually wanted to throw the damn suit away because she always tells me that but I guess she eventually saw that the man in the suit is what it’s all about. Nyahaha!

I see, so you're a couple in real-life?

Don Robert: Unexpectedly yes. And its fun because we’re doing what we both like and we’re enjoying it together.

Tony Stark and Pepper cosplay
Izabel Cortez: Well, I guess people in the community learned to connect the dots although we didn’t say.  It’s like you only answer questions when asked.lol.  It is also because we still want to maintain this boundary between business and our personal lives. People may argue and say its just the same thing but we believe that’s just the appropriate thing to do and it’s the business etiquette we’ve lived by. That’s how we work together, he has his own duties & responsibilities and I have mine whenever we make our costumes and we try our best to meet our own standards. We are bosses of each other and we criticize each other’s work because we are both clients of each other. When we’re not doing anything then we’re just like any other regular couple. You can say we have time to play and a time to work and its of different ends of a pole and we also have a time for both which is cosplay.

Who did you first cosplay as a pair? And in which event or convention was this? How did it go?

Don Robert : I had an Iron Man costume since there was a movie coming up and I needed a Black Widow. I asked her if she would like to cosplay it although she did tell me she’s going to do Black Cat. I made her belt & arm guards when she decided to do the comic bishoujo version of Black Widow.

Izabel Cortez: We first teamed up January of 2010 as Iron Man and Black Widow during the Otaku Expo 2010 in Megamall. As I’ve mentioned I promised myself a little more challenge so I was planning to do a Black Cat costume. But since I’ve met him and he said he needs a Black Widow partner, I changed characters for the moment since Black Cat & Black Widow seem to have the same suit. My Black Cat cosplay was launched a little later that year.

It was fun actually but we didn’t compete then first because we’re still testing the waters so to speak. After we’ve determined the chemistry then we went all the way for the next events. :)

Iron Man (Mark IV) and Black Widow (comic book version) cosplay by DR Industries

How do you two choose the characters that you cosplay?

DR Industries: Normally, from what we like. And normally it should be in pairs. We also try to look at the difficulty of the character/costume to be made, how much time we have and how far we can go for it. We plan ahead but sometimes we do costumes impromptu just because we had the urge to do it and the materials to do it with.

Before every event, we discuss/plan our next costumes, how many can we make & how fast. We had this trademark of donning two or more costumes for an event so we make a few extras for costrip and one as the competition entry. Every event we always try to come up with something new. I dunno, we kinda feel bored if we just don the same costume every event. We feel that people will get bored & tired seeing it. And we both agree on that so the adrenalin is at the same level. Last 2010, we have made 31 costumes all in all. This year, so far, as per counting, we already have 9 new costumes and more to come till the end of the year. LOL. It’s crazy and some will ask isn’t it expensive. Oh yes it is! But if you’re really into it then it’s not really a big deal. We also recycle some of our costumes hence we made the 31 count last year so it’s not the same character. It’s actually all about your creativity and how you can make it work.

Of the many characters that you’ve both done so far, name your top 3 favorites and why?

Izabel Cortez as Guyver Valcuria
Don Robert: Iron Man Mark IV- I’m the first one who make the costume very cool; Storm Shadow (G.I Joe) -Where Izabel falls in love every time I wear it; Hordak (from the series She-Ra) – it’s our first molded  mask using rubber… so cool.

Izabel Cortez:  Guyver Valcuria – well, nobody has done her before so I can say I’m the first all over the world(?); Kamen Rider Den-O – my favorite Kamen Rider series and is one of the greatest work of Don Robert (also Guyver); She-Predator Machicko – my first armored costume & probably my costume with the most wins as to date.


What has been your most memorable experience while in cosplay?

DR Industries w/ Mr. Simon Philips
Don Robert: One of the memorable experiences we had was to be able to meet Mr. Simon Philips of Marvel International and that he acknowledge our work. Also, when we did a charity work last Christmas as saying thank you for all the blessings we have received and is continuing to receive.

Izabel Cortez: Winning unexpectedly. I mean there are a lot of cosplayers with great costumes and out of that hundred you get picked. That’s awesome. We both don’t usually expect to win but we are thankful that it happens from time to time. Also, since I’ve been into cosplay, I’ve met a lot of people, all walks of life, all over the world. It’s cool to share and be able to inspire people by what you do.

Have you experienced any awkward or embarrassing moments, weird situations and the like, while in cosplay?

Don Robert: I was cosplaying as Tony Stark/Iron Man but some people were calling me Manny Pacquiao.What the heck…LOL.

Izabel Cortez: People calling us other characters.lol. It’s forgivable though because we have to understand that not all people are knowledgeable or exposed to media and information about the characters or even to shows like anime. Included also are events that are not organized well because it becomes stressful to the participants and even to the audience who went there to watch. 

Would you kindly share some tips for other hobbyists and aspiring cosplayers who are inspired by your work?

DR Industries: Just continue to learn. Challenge yourself, explore and research. We believe one should have the true dedication and passion to do one hobby, not just cosplay. Don’t settle for anything less or just because. There are a lot of ways in doing things -  try to find it and if you’re going to do something, do it right. And the most important thing – be humble. :)


What are your future cosplay plans?

DR Industries: We have a lot actually. So far for our 2011 list, 9 has already materialized. We’re not sure if we can beat our 2010 costume count because the ones we’ve done this year are more difficult to do but we’ll try to get close. Haha!

DR and Izabel Cortez
And lastly, your message for all your fans and supporters:
 

I would like to thank Don Robert Torio and Izabel Cortez once again for doing the interview despite their busy schedules. More power to DR Industries and the best of luck to you both!

Here are more photos of the couple in their street clothes.











 








Photo credits to:

Imel Aimeru
Mike Carlo Caparas
Kira Hokuten 
Jeikarl Morales

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! I was able to have my picture taken with Don Robert during ToyCon and I think that he nailed the costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They were at the Teriyaki Boy Matsuri event in Eastwood and I got to see the Guyver Valcuria suit up-close... it was very impressive as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...